“It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend, one’s present or future thirst, the excellence of the wine, or any other reason.” LATIN PROVERBRecently we welcomed the arrival of not a single friend but enough amigos to call it a fiesta. As we were not rooting for a particular team, nor have we been fastidiously watching the pigskin being tossed around by various adorned uniforms, but any gathering that springs the question, “Want a Rita?” well por qué no? You can’t get much better than a just right margarita. Papa Bear is quite the mixologist…his love for creating in addition to using wholesome ingredients make the drink memorable. You will reminisce the ice that clicked the glass, the aromatic citrus that was squeezed, and the tenderness and love that poured over the cubes in the days that follow. Did someone ask for salt? Yes, please. Upon entering our nest, you will experience the artful selection of his specialty…happy juice. No doubt the concoction will quench your thirst and slow your thoughts down. You will sink deeper into the chair and slowly your world-weary thoughts will disappear one after another with each sip. You may even hear the not-so-distant crashing of the exceptionally high waves of the Pacific. So now that you have reentered the work week after a particularly celebratory one (or perhaps it was a subdued one for you) remember at the end of the day you can always come back to this hubristic-eliciting cocktail.
And because love is in the air, yes Cupid may just have an arrow for you, here’s to how do I love thee?
Blood Orange Margarita
- 2oz tequila (white)
- 2oz freshly squeezed blood orange juice or cara cara orange juice
- 1oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- a splash of triple sec
- 1.5 oz pomegranate infused simple syrup (you can use agave and adjust the sweetness)
For the simple syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Bring water and sugar to a slow boil, mix until sugar is dissolved
- Add in 6 oz of pomegranate and bring back to a simmer
- Let steep for 30 minutes or overnight for more intense flavor.
For the Cocktail:
- Dip rims of glasses in simple syrup and then into salt.
- In a cocktail shaker combine ice, tequila, blood orange juice, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Shake for ten seconds, then pour into glass.
- Serve with blood orange garnish. Enjoy!
*Please note: No children were harmed nor were they given any happy juice…this is simply their natural silly state.